CARF Pitts 12 Build Thread

All types of aerobatic airframes, questions, builds or general info

Re: CARF Pitts 12 Build Thread

Postby Billy Bunter on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:29 am

After a bit of a break from this, I'm back on the PItts 12 and adding some further posts here. Yesterday I fully assembled the Pitts in the Garden. It looks fantastic - I'd say for 'wow-factor' its the best looking model I have... :D

Definitely, this is going to take a bit of time at the field to rig and de-rig. I did organise some Intairco quick disconnect clevises, which saves me some time. Even so though, it took me 20 minutes to de-rig the Pitts, which is quite a bit longer than the ~5 minutes any of the 40% monoplanes takes.

As of today, I'm waiting on an exhaust extension to be able to fly this, Hopefully it will arrive this coming week, so we can get out and maiden this next weekend.

B.
Attachments
IMG_2042.jpg
IMG_2041.jpg
IMG_2038.jpg
IMG_2037.jpg
IMG_2036.jpg
IMG_2034.jpg
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Billy Bunter on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:32 am

I was advised to baffle the Moki 300 and am very grateful to Andy Rosher, one of the forum members on here, who kindly machined out a two-piece baffle for me from carbon fibre. The fit around the cylinders was excellent, with only a couple of minor Dremel 'adjustment's required.

B.
Attachments
IMG_2033.jpg
IMG_2032.jpg
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Billy Bunter on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:35 am

To wire this aeroplane up I used the Powerbox 'one4one' cables. I didn't want to just use regular servo plugs, as the connector plating can wear off after an extended number of connection/disconnection cycles.

They are very nice, compact connectors with large round gold plates connectors inside. Will definitely use these again in the future for surfaces powered with just single servo.

B.
Attachments
IMG_2046.jpg
IMG_2049.jpg
IMG_2050.jpg
IMG_2051.jpg
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Billy Bunter on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:42 am

The aerofoiled flyting wires from Hans in Switzerland are quite lovely. He supplies with the clevises, that have removeable pins, retained using very tiny split pins. I looked are the pins and split pins and decided that they were just going to be too small and fiddly for easy use.

So, as explained in an earlier post, I ditched the supplied clevises and got some aluminium quick disconnect clevises from Intairco. I had to tap them out for an M4 thread, which required that I buy a reverse 4mm tap to tap out half of them. The ends of the flying wires have regular and reversed threads, to they and be rotated like a turnbuckle to tension them up.

Very pleased with how the flying wires have come out and the ease with which I can install and remove them.

I also made up from carbon rods to hold the flying wires together. The image of those shows them in an unfinished state. The small bits of blue masking tape are there to identify the places where I need to drill through them, so that an M3 nut and bolt can be added at either end to clamp them in place.

B.
Attachments
IMG_2028.jpg
IMG_2029.jpg
IMG_2031.jpg
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Billy Bunter on Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:05 pm

Cooling openings in the bottom of the fuselage and tanks all finished and plumbed in.

B.
Attachments
IMG_2044.jpg
IMG_2045.jpg
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

CARF Pitts 12 Build Thread

Postby uhf on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:49 pm

All looking good!

I like the yellow plugs. If you had more servos per wing do you think it would be an issue to align a few of them? Also if you will be using felt to stop the wings and tail rubbing will they still make a good connection?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
uhf
Commander
Commander

Postby Billy Bunter on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:22 am

The ends of the connectors in the wings and stabs are loose, so there are no alignment issues, or problems with this being thrown out when I fit some felt to slop the lower wing rubbing the paint away on the fuselage.

B.
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby steve236 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:55 am

Great work BB.

I use the PowerBox one4two connectors on wings/ailerons all the time and they are brilliant. Never thought about one4one on tailplane but might be worth considering. Looking forward to the maiden.
steve236
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Stuart0688 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:37 am

Amazing project, really enjoying seeing it progress.

Stuart McCallum
Stuart0688
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Dave Wilshere on Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:08 pm

There are One for One, One for two and One for Three. 1, 2 or 3 servos
"Do or Do not. There is no try" -Yoda
Dave Wilshere
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

PreviousNext