CARF Edge 540 2.6 Zig Zag

Moderator: Colin Gontier

Re: CARF Edge 540 2.6 Zig Zag

Postby thomasdavid on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:59 pm

I've seen a lot of comp arfs, not many lasted more than a few hundred flights before they needed the live hinges repairing. Also, how can a lack of aileron movement be corrected by reducing the weight? That makes no sense.

Robart hinges in balsa stock is just an example, but a good one. Pretty sure it would be lighter than the live hinge, as much movement as the bevel allows and it lasts for ever.
thomasdavid
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby uhf on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:05 pm

Not that i have anything to add on the live hinge discussion but how are your robart hinges lasting forever, my ones tend to open up around the metal pin after a while and get sloppy.
uhf
Commander
Commander

Postby thomasdavid on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Are they proper Robart ones? My GB extra came with hinges that looked like robarts but seemed to be made of butter. I've done quite a few flights on most of my planes and haven't noticed any of the hinges getting sloppy yet.
thomasdavid
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Ally Young on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Proper Robart hinges are good as they are make out of a proven plastic with metal pins. I suppose an advantage of the centre hinge set up is that you can easily take the brass rod out and inspect / replace it as required. There is no denying that there is a weight penalty...I suspect that is really why they went with one aileron servo. A place to really save weight on the Edge is the wing spar. It is a HUGE alloy yacht mast look alike. It is quite stubby though and doesn't extent too far into the wing.
I would like to find a carbon tube the same size, but I wouldn't be confident of its strength and required wall thickness versus the proper alloy one. I recon a carbon spar and the new version wings would make a noticeable difference to the weight.
My one has an MVVS 116 up on front on cans which doesn't help the all up weight either, but does give it awesome power.

Personally I would find it hard to decide between the new Edge and the ever popular Extra 260. I've seen the 330 SC close quarters and whilst it looks nice, it doesn't quite do it for me.
Team HighAlpha ally@highalpha.org
Ally Young

Postby Andrew Bird on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:50 am

Ian at IAD sells some really good carbon tubes which I've used on my 3.1 330SC's. They're very good, I've got total confidence in them and lighter than the comp arf ali wing tubes. I've got about 150 flights on the one in my old Extra and had no worries about putting a new one in to the new Extra when I finished it. I did go for a slightly thicker side wall just to be sure with mine but there is still a weight saving there - they should work fine in your Edge.

I have to say, the later version of Comp ARF's centre hinges don't seem that heavy - they have got rid of the brass tube running the entire length of the aileron and the combination of the inboard servo placement definitely made a difference on the 3m planes. Not sure how great I feel about the return to live hinging after having centre hinges again.
Andrew Bird
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby isnicol on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:27 am

Ally

I can supply virtually any size (within reason) of carbon wing/tail tube with or with out carbon sleeves in any wall thickness from 1mm upwards (or inwards depending on your viewpoint) made to your specification if required, for a custom tube it would normally take 2-3 weeks for delivery.

Colin, if you feel this is an inappropriate post feel free to remove the post.
Iain Nicol

WWW.IADMODELDESIGNS.CO.UK

email iain@iadmodeldesigns.co.uk
phone 01236 423 448 or mobile 07742 131 833
isnicol
Commander
Commander

Postby Colin Gontier on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:55 am

isnicol wrote:
Colin, if you feel this is an inappropriate post feel free to remove the post.

Not at all - a helpful post in a generally reasoned objective thread - what forums should be like.
Colin Gontier
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Ally Young on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:46 pm

Iain, that sounds pretty good. I will need to check sizes accurately. I would need advice on a suitable wall thickness......?

I think it would be a worthwhile mod. I'll give you a buzz sometime to discuss.
Team HighAlpha ally@highalpha.org
Ally Young

Postby Thruster on Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:31 pm

Not withstanding everything mentioned in the posts above...........

I have finally finished the build and did the maiden today. Fabulous scheme both on the ground and especially in the air.

Just a couple of clicks up and she was sorted. Really like this model a lot and will take top spot in the hanger (well for my prop stuff anyway).
Attachments
image.jpg
Thruster
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby Andrew Bird on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:40 am

Looks fantastic!
Andrew Bird
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

PreviousNext