CARF Edge 540 2.6 Zig Zag

Moderator: Colin Gontier

CARF Edge 540 2.6 Zig Zag

Postby Colin Gontier on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:20 am

This just in for a customer - sexy in the Zig Zag scheme !

Colin Gontier
Group Leader
Group Leader

Re: CARF Edge 540 2.6 Zig Zag

Postby ChrisC on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:58 am

Have all the 2.6M CARF models gone back to top hinged? I think I remember this being mentioned as a weight saving measure but not sure. Be interesting to see how it flies in comparison with the original, which for me was very nice in 3D.
ChrisC
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby Colin Gontier on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:59 am

Yes top hinged and as you rightly remember for weight saving - the feeling was the lightness outweighed the benefit.

This one is not going to an out and out 3D'er (unless he goes mad and whacks it around when Im not looking :P ) but it is incredibly light so should perform brilliantly.
Colin Gontier
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Ally Young on Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:22 pm

Looks stunning. If I was having another one it would be that scheme for a change. I can't really see the logic in going for the top hinge again on the Edge, I suspect it has much more to do with manufacturing costs than anything else. I would imagine gains over the centre hinge would be minimal in how it flies, if any gain at all. The Edge's niche was allegedly 3D and not sequence, so again top hinge doesn't make particular sense. Also, personally I think it already flies really well if set up properly and is more than capable of decent IMAC in the right hands...not mine! :?
There is now however no need to add weight to non existent aileron counterbalances on the top hinged wing....and that certainly will make a difference. That is more weight added via that than the difference in how it is hinged. If I remember correctly, 30g on ailerons and 20g on elevators.
Anyway, lovely model. Anyone want a green one?!! :o
Team HighAlpha ally@highalpha.org
Ally Young

Postby Dave Wilshere on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:36 pm

Difference is huge...
"Do or Do not. There is no try" -Yoda
Dave Wilshere
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby Ally Young on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:15 pm

Huge...? Hmm, interesting, in what way? Is it still single servo or two like 260? ......I could see that making a significant difference...to weight I mean obviously. I'd like to fly a top hinged one to see the 'huge' difference. If the wing is lighter, that is where it would gain most being crisper and less momentum in snaps etc. ..plus you would get the CARF squeak!
in the photos on CARF website only the zig zag one is shown with the top hinged ailerons, is that just 'cause they haven't updated their photos, or what? I would like to try the new version to see for myself. I could always get another set of wings to try but that is a bit radical! The original isn't the lightest machine around, but it certainly man's up and stays stable in a bit of a blow, I love it for that. New one looks awesome though.
Team HighAlpha ally@highalpha.org
Ally Young

Postby Dave Wilshere on Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:37 am

Two mounted well inboard. The wings are a lot lighter, that's 90% of the reason. Moving the aileron servos in on the big 3m 330SC most people said it won't make much difference on a big aeroplane, but its really noticeable in rolls and snaps.
Just picture updates, they need to catch up on several models. The change started mid last year, reducing stock of the centre hinged models.

The earliest were heavier, some of the later (centre hinge) Edge's we sold were lighter than the first one me and Birdy had.
"Do or Do not. There is no try" -Yoda
Dave Wilshere
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby Colin Gontier on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:43 am

Ally,

I see my new unpaid forum assistant has been answering for me - all helps with the busy days I suppose :P

Just out of interest I will measure one of the wings a bit later as soon as I get a mo - they are very light. When the box arrived I wasn't sure there was anything in it ! Drop me a line or give me a call if you want to look at one of these.

regards

Colin
Colin Gontier
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby thomasdavid on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:17 am

So, centre hinged is too heavy or too expensive, top hinged doesn't give enough movement then fails. Why don't comp arf come up with an aileron hinge that works properly? Have they ever heard of Robart hinges?
thomasdavid
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Colin Gontier on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:15 pm

I'm not sure its fair to say that top hinged doesn't give enough movement then fails. CARF use peel ply as their live hinge and it is very wear resistant. Any compromise in that setup I have seen is due to transport trauma or being over stretched. Obviously the movement is more on the centre hinge - which is why CARF went to that method but it was judged overall to be too heavy - with of course a cost implication as well. In this sort of situation the manufacturer has to cater for what they feel will be most appealing to most people. Some will have different feelings and requirements. Im no expert 3D pilot myself but I do know enough to know that movement is key - but overall lightness probably makes as much of a difference and I would say more of a difference in all but the most extreme circumstances.

With robart type hinges although you would save a bit on weight you still need to have the structure to support the hinge so that makes it add up again. Bit of a horses of course thing here I think..

regards

Colin
Colin Gontier
Group Leader
Group Leader

Next

Return to Boomerang Jets