Help fixing up a align 600

Got an airwhisk, talk amongst friends here

Help fixing up a align 600

Postby Languid Virago on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:56 am

OK, apart from some mucking about on various 25 odd year old glow helis back in the day and modern RTF micro helis around the house I am a Heli noob.

So, I need some advice on equipment to buy and where to start getting it set up and adjusted.

I have a good and basically new genuine 600 TREX frame, this is the very first version I think, fitted with a non DFC ( i think) flybarless head and a tourque tube tail rotor conversion in a glass Long Ranger body. all equipment I know is basically newish and uncrashed.

Apart from align 600 blades and 2 spare Savox 1258 servos, that is all the equipment I have. I do also have a used Turnigy motor that was given to me, it supposed to be for the 600 but it seems too wide for the frame for some reason.

Basically I want to get it flying soon, and I have no idea the best way forward, Budget is low as possible for the moment and it will be for learning on and just general flying around, no aerobatics. I can fly baby toy helis well enough and can fly the heli on a sim without too many issues.

Where do I start and what suggestions do you guys have about equipment, FBL controller, batteries, and and necessary upgrades.

Cheers.
Languid Virago
Group Leader
Group Leader

Re: Help fixing up a align 600

Postby WalkAbout on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:07 am

I guess buying bits in Europe to save some money are out of the question on this 1 then as you might need some of that Old Grown UK Set up service and advice :lol:
Team HighAlphajoe@highalpha.org
Kindly Supported by www.iadmodeldesigns.co.uk
WalkAbout
Founder Member
Founder Member

Postby Dave Wilshere on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:28 am

What Tx do you use? That can decide the FBL controller,Spekky do their all in one AR 7200BX, JR Tags and Mini TAGs. Futaba own unit is likely expensive.
Beast X is a favourite or all radios.

So you are running 6s? ESC wants to be around 85-90A, setting up with straight lines you can use even an aircraft ESC, but some don't have soft start that you need to stop the blades kicking back as it starts.

Scorpion are best motors, cheap motors throw magnets, then the ESC blows too and maybe the heli crashes...
"Do or Do not. There is no try" -Yoda
Dave Wilshere
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby Si_B on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:03 am

The YEP escs work well for the price. Seen a few friends running the Hobbyking heli drive motors if you are looking to keep costs to a minimum. Might be worth looking on a more helicopter orientated forum in the for sale section as you could probably pick up a machine ready to fly for not much more than it will cost you to gear up what you have. The older Trex 600 airframes do no fetch much and can be had for a good price.

Simon
Si_B
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Languid Virago on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:22 pm

Thanks for the comments so far. Helpful.

I am not on any Heli orientated forums.

So responses to points made.

I fly Jeti, so a FBL that will take UDI or PPM input would be brilliant to keep the latency speed up ( or is that down?) , i think the other protocols the jeti can do have much slower speeds. I can then use a simple Rsat2 RX which i have lots of.

Battery would be 6s, whatever capacity I could squeeze between the frame rails. I would like a few packs and do not want to buy £150 mega packs for what is a Sunday afternoon toy Heli that will never do aerobatics or probably get out of a hover.

Motor, pinion, I am a little lost on the choice, I was thinking the align bl600mx for no other reason that they are cheap unused second hand because everyone seems to upgrade automatically. I am not sure that choice would de ideal or there is something better out there.

I would like to use this airframe regardless, for the simple reason i know and trust it's provenance and the parts are still good, I am also an avid model recycler, just about all my models are pre owned, pre crashed or plan built, there are also loads of junk helis beings sold used and an idiot like me would likely buy one of the junk ones. I do not need the latest and greatest of anything.

FBL controller is the biggest item, one I am willing to drop the big money on, i do not mind used anything else but in flight electronics and servos i like to buy new. The Spirit so far looks the most promising, it has a bailout feature and supposedly will have full Jeti TX programming integration soon, but soon with Jeti could be next year or even never. It is not something I wish to count on when choosing a FBL controller.

I know of no one IRL who is running this controller to see how it performs, and Heli people seem manic about always having to have the latest of whatever so I do not know if some of the older controllers would be just as fine for my limited needs. I used to fly a fixed pitch MFA 500 with ancient futaba tail gyro and S148 futaba servos. just about anything would be easier than that.
Languid Virago
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Si_B on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:46 pm

I used to fly my old Trex 600 on turnigy 5000mah 30c packs with no problems. The 6s set up does put a fair amount of stress on the packs, but if you are buzzing about in a scale fuselage there should be plenty of power.

With regards to the FBI controller, ask 10 people, you will get 10 different answers. I used to fly Beast x and thought it was spot on until I went with Vbar. Can't really comments on newer systems, but my preference would be a Vbar, just locked in and well proven.

I would still recommend having a look on heliaddicts (not sure if that's okay to mention on this forum?). If you put a wanted add on, I'm sure you will get a decent set up for a reasonable price. Be a bit wary of the kv on secondhand motors, can't remember what you need for a 6s setup but I can check if you want.

It's really hard to recommend what to go for. You can get FBI controllers incredibly cheap which are clones (fbar, or HK's version of the Beast X). It really depends if you just want to fly about, or throw it around. As I said, you don't see that many original Trex 600e machines knocking about, so personally I would not chuck too much money at it as you could probably pick up a more up to date machine for not much more.

One thing I'm not keen on are bail out systems. I find them quite worrying.

Please post some pics of your machine.

Simon
Si_B
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Tinman on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:56 pm

Not sure if it's of interest to you, but if the motor you have doesn't fit, I have a used 6s motor set up from an older Trex600 ESP. (i've converted to 10s as part of a complex scale conversion)

It's a 1220-kv motor (good for a solid 1800-1900 head speed on 6s and 600mm blades) along with a matched Align ESC. Basically it should plug and play with a 6s-5000mah pack.

I'd like £60 plus postage for it is all.
BMFA Examiner
E(FW) - I(FW) - E(H) - I(H) - B(SF-S) - I(SF) - E(MR) - I(MR)
http://www.bradburydp.co.uk
Tinman
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Languid Virago on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Tinman wrote:Not sure if it's of interest to you, but if the motor you have doesn't fit, I have a used 6s motor set up from an older Trex600 ESP. (i've converted to 10s as part of a complex scale conversion)

It's a 1220-kv motor (good for a solid 1800-1900 head speed on 6s and 600mm blades) along with a matched Align ESC. Basically it should plug and play with a 6s-5000mah pack.

I'd like £60 plus postage for it is all.

I would say yes, I may possibly be interested.

Any pics? And what is the width of the motor, pinion? Power of the ESC? etc

my frame seems to be 46 mm width between the carbon side plates. Most of the 600 size motors I have seen are 49mm as is old red Turnigy one I was given.

Also the length from the center of the rotor head to the tail rotor center is 800mm, which seems long to me for a 600 Heli, maybe it was extended to fit the fuse? Looks like there would be space to fit even 700 mm blades.

Mine also has Mikado branded blade attachment thingies for some reason. I also noticed it has an align tail servo fitted and I have found another Savox 1258 on my 30cc I can swop out for something else, so I am getting the equipment kinda together already. At least all the servos. I think it was being built for F3? Something helicopter competition at the time so the best equipment of its day was used. The frame is used but i think the upgrade parts were new or newish.

I will upload some pics later.
Languid Virago
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Tinman on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:45 pm

Languid Virago wrote:Also the length from the center of the rotor head to the tail rotor center is 800mm, which seems long to me for a 600 Heli, maybe it was extended to fit the fuse? Looks like there would be space to fit even 700 mm blades.

Sounds about right to me. You don't want the main blades to hit the tail blades. The main blades at 600mm + about 80-100mm for the main blade grips, then you have the rear blades at 95mm + their blade grips. So all in all you'll need about 800mm for clearance.

I don't have any photos of the motor set up etc, but can get some for later. It's the slimmest motor Align have done for the 600 class though, so should fit. If you have any photos of your heli's frame I can tell you more about the model. I've been modifying Align heli's for some time.

This is an Align 600 inside, but massively upgraded and modified.
IMG_0415-2.jpg
BMFA Examiner
E(FW) - I(FW) - E(H) - I(H) - B(SF-S) - I(SF) - E(MR) - I(MR)
http://www.bradburydp.co.uk
Tinman
Group Leader
Group Leader

Return to Helicopters