Hacker A60-6XS Issue

All things battery powered

Hacker A60-6XS Issue

Postby Connor Stephenson on Mon May 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi all,

A very rare post from me but anyones advice would be a huge help.

I have the following in a 70” model

Hacker A60-6XS
22x10 APC Electric prop
YEP 100amp ESC
6s 5000Mah

This is the reccomended prop size from Hacker themselves

It was running a Castle Creations Phoenix 110HV. But i had issues where it would squeal like it was going out of phase during acceleration and didnt have the power.

So i swapped to the YEP, i now have proper power, but the squealing is worse, unless I set 30 degrees of timing and low acceleration, then its perfect... except for the fact the throttle feels more like a turboprop, less than ideal!

Opinion seems to be that the brand new YEP esc is also incompatible with the hacker 28 pole motors.... or that my prop is jsit too heavy for it to cope, so possibly swapping to a lighter prop may solve it?

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers,

Connor
Connor Stephenson
Wing Man
Wing Man

Re: Hacker A60-6XS Issue

Postby Dickw on Tue May 15, 2018 3:31 pm

I don't have any direct experience with that motor, but I see that Hacker suggest the Jeti Spin pro 125 ESC. One of the options on that ESC is automatic timing, which I am sure the YEP does as well - have you tried automatic timing? I have used automatic timing on several setups and it may help the motor and ESC work together.

The other point from the Spin manual is that for big outrunners and props it suggests an acceleration time of 2 seconds. Hope you can do better than that.

Dick
Grow old disgracefully.
Dickw
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby Connor Stephenson on Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 am

Hi Dick,

Yes I have tried Automatic timing and it just makes everything worse, if i was to count to 5 whilst I pushed the throttle forward, 1 being just above idle and 5 being full, I get to around 3 and it squeals and loses all power until I throttle off and try again, but this time maybe over 10 seconds!

I am convinced it’s the shear weight of the prop, the esc is asking for the acceleration but the motor just cannot handle the load.

The APC weighs 163g

A Mejzlik LF of the same size weighs 40g!

Its an expensive experiment, but the only other option is a jeti or hacker esc for €200 :?

Connor
Connor Stephenson
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby ChrisC on Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 am

Connor,

I have a fiala 22x10 you are welcome to try, it's wooden and very light. I also have a hobbywing ESC which I am using on my 6S axi setup which you can also use to test.

I'm home in a weeks time(hopefully) so let me know if you want to try and I'll pop them in the post. It may or may not work, but at least it won't cost you anything, well except a few quid to post it back when you are finished.

Cheers
Chris
ChrisC
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby Nick S on Thu May 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Connor
22x10 apc-e is the recommended Hacker prop for this motor, so it should be right. I’ve had similar issues before with Hacker recommended prop size with apc-e props. Always worse on a good new LiPo able to deliver high amps. I’ve found that once the LiPo’s are older or part discharged, the squealing gets less as amp delivery is less, or a smaller prop is used.
Have you checked the 3 phase soldered joints on wires from esc to motor? If one of these is high resistance because of a poor joint, I believe it can be cause of squealing issues. Make sure all 3 joints are good quality soldered joints and connectors are good fit/connection.
You haven’t extended the esc to motor wires, have you?
I had heard a while ago that there was a bug in the CC firmware which didn’t allow 28 pole motors to reach their full power, maybe it’s resolved now if you have latest firmware.
Do you have the latest firmware for the YEP or the CC esc installed?
Timing should be 28 degrees and switching frequency set to 8kHz with the A60-6XS.
I’ve got a 20x10 apc-e you are welcome to experiment with to see if less load stops the problem. I’ll bring it on Sunday if you’re coming flying, let me know.
Nick S
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Connor Stephenson on Thu May 17, 2018 9:08 pm

ChrisC wrote:Connor,

I have a fiala 22x10 you are welcome to try, it's wooden and very light. I also have a hobbywing ESC which I am using on my 6S axi setup which you can also use to

Cheers
Chris

Chris, that might be just what I need thankyou! I’ll let you know ASAP, hoping to do a bit more testing this weekend!
Connor Stephenson
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby Connor Stephenson on Thu May 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Nick S wrote:Connor
22x10 apc-e is the recommended Hacker prop for this motor, so it should be right. I’ve had similar issues before with Hacker recommended prop size with apc-e props. Always worse on a good new LiPo able to deliver high amps. I’ve found that once the LiPo’s are older or part discharged, the squealing gets less as amp delivery is less, or a smaller prop is used.
Have you checked the 3 phase soldered joints on wires from esc to motor? If one of these is high resistance because of a poor joint, I believe it can be cause of squealing issues. Make sure all 3 joints are good quality soldered joints and connectors are good fit/connection.
You haven’t extended the esc to motor wires, have you?
I had heard a while ago that there was a bug in the CC firmware which didn’t allow 28 pole motors to reach their full power, maybe it’s resolved now if you have latest firmware.
Do you have the latest firmware for the YEP or the CC esc installed?
Timing should be 28 degrees and switching frequency set to 8kHz with the A60-6XS.
I’ve got a 20x10 apc-e you are welcome to experiment with to see if less load stops the problem. I’ll bring it on Sunday if you’re coming flying, let me know.

Nicholas! No my squealing is just constant and horrendous whether the packs are charged or flat!

Yep first thing I did is stick some 6mm bullets on both ESC and motor to make sure the solder joints were up to the job. ESC wires are stock length on the castle and YEP. Castle I updated to the latest firmware and changed the timing and frequency to exactly those settings, no such luck.

YEP I don’t think you can alter firmware. Timing can be set to 24 degrees abd 8khz but its still terrible. I’m currently on 30 degrees and slow acceleration to get it to work, but it’s not at all easy to 3D, feels quite scary!

Ill let you know about the 20x10, as I believe this was the prop it had when I bought it so I think I might have one also! But its underpowered on that prop so somehow it needs to be on a 22x10!

Pictures of the YEP programming card below.

Connor
Attachments
CF801DBA-8FC0-4D55-9B6A-8D95F57139DB.jpeg
1356EC6F-3456-407D-BD0E-8978E3C7C3C0.jpeg
Connor Stephenson
Wing Man
Wing Man

Return to Electric Flight