Futaba 14mz issue

Don't know your 2.4Ghz from your 35Mhz? Discuss radio equipment here.

Futaba 14mz issue

Postby oliver on Sun May 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi guys, on my 100cc edge last year the rudder would twitch and occasionally put some deflection in. I assumed it was down to some interference between ignition or similar however I sold the model and have been flying a 78 ef on electric and it is still doing it. I have changed the receiver and none of the other equipment is the same. Anyone got any thoughts? I swapped the model onto my dad's tx but that uses different receivers so I couldn't compare but it appeared to stop it
Rejected by McDonalds
oliver
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Re: Futaba 14mz issue

Postby Nick S on Mon May 21, 2018 9:17 pm

I had a similar problem a few years ago with a 14mz. It would randomly give me a small dose of down elevator every now and then which was a bit scary when close to the deck :o
Turned out to be a dirty or worn pot on the elevator stick.
Most 14mz’s are getting on a bit now. Time to get it serviced and get them to fit new pots.
Nick S
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby oliver on Tue May 22, 2018 8:17 am

Yeah it has done well so far! If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you to fix? I only have a couple of models now and dont use most of the functions - just wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy a new radio
Rejected by McDonalds
oliver
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby Nick S on Tue May 22, 2018 4:16 pm

That’s what I did, I bought another 14mz
Nick S
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby juliant on Mon May 28, 2018 7:28 am

I have a 12Z which is mechanically similar to the 14 apart from colour screen. My elevator began to twitch and wander around 4 years ago and I thought it was a faulty servo, then faulty rx. The light went on when it happened on other models. The fault was slight but noticeable, especially on 3D models with large throws. Eventually I looked at the servo monitor screen and sure enough it was the tx. I returned to Ripmax and they diagnosed the problem as caused by the connectors between the gimbals and the main board which apparently oxidise with age and the contact becomes less than perfect. They replaced the connectors with soldered joints and to be certain also replaced gimbals and for good measure the screen which I had managed to scuff for just over £100. I was happy with that result and the tx works perfectly at this time.

Julian
juliant
Junior Pilot
Junior Pilot

Return to Radio Gear