CARF Yak55 SP 3.3m Build

All types of aerobatic airframes, questions, builds or general info

Re: CARF Yak55 SP 3.3m Build

Postby Billy Bunter on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Sorry, but no. I didn’t take any videos.

Interesting you should mention this though. As I recently picked up a video camera and fluid tripod for exactly this purpose. I forgot to take them on Saturday. But, I’ll make a point of taking then next time and getting some videos of both models in action.

B.
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Billy Bunter on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:10 pm

A long shot and a somewhat cheeky by request to the HA community, but does anyone on here have a Mej 34x12 prop they are using and could loan me, to ground test on the MVVS 190?

Thanks,

B
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Pete R on Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Billy Bunter wrote:Sorry, but no. I didn’t take any videos.

Interesting you should mention this though. As I recently picked up a video camera and fluid tripod for exactly this purpose. I forgot to take them on Saturday. But, I’ll make a point of taking then next time and getting some videos of both models in action.

B.

Excellent :D
Pete R
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Billy Bunter on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:57 pm

OK! Today I went to PMFC and got some movie footage of Steve Roberts and Dave Wilshere flying the big YAK.

I haven't yet got much experience using the Panasonic AF100 camera I used for this and so the movie quality is not the best. I'm still learbing how to best track the models in the sky and how to hold the camera to get the smoothest footage.

I think the movie of Dave flying the YAK came out better - I'm afraid that I managed to get the footage a bit out of focus when Steve was flying and also lost the model at least once during his flight! My arms and neck were also really starting to ache after a few minutes and so I didn't carry on to record the last part and landings of these to flights.

Even so though, this should give a good idea of the performance the YAK has with the MVVS190 under the bonnet. The performance is unlimited, albeit not as brutal/endless as a couple of my other aeroplanes like the Krill Sukhoi with the M220 in it.

B

Dave's Flight:
https://youtu.be/r94J3YUSGJo

Steve's Flight:
https://youtu.be/tSufXNnzWjE
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Billy Bunter on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Does anyone on here know how I add these movie files to this thread, so that they are viewable within the thread rather than just appear as YouTube links?

Thanks,

B.
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Ally Young on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Stuart, you are a trusting soul letting those two fly your pride and joy! :D

The model looks very impressive in flight and it is well matched to the engine/ pipe combo. It seems just short of ripping the prop I think, it does seem relatively loud, is it? ....it is hard to tell on a video......it is a good job everything is far away from the field. Do you guys never get any noise hassles?
The big style aeros the guys flew definitely suit the model better than mental 3D style flying. It looks graceful,and powerful, smoke looks good too. It is a big model with quite a presence. I like the underside colours too , it is easy to see. That is an ideal model for a few shows.....but your Pitts 12 on a Moki radial, that will be awesome.

I tried videoing a few IMAC flights for a friend and it is really hard work keeping it in frame and in focus and it kills your arms and neck. It is not easy, good effort. Thanks for sharing, :handgestures-thumbup:

Ally
Team HighAlpha ally@highalpha.org
Ally Young

Postby Billy Bunter on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:31 pm

Hello Ally,

I fly at several clubs, but mostly the PMFC at St. Albans where those movies were shot. There are no real issues with noise. The club is positioned away from most of the local community and the M25 is nearby, which is a bigger source of noise than our aircraft. That said, the club does try to act responsibly and keep on top of noise. That is to say that when a truly noisey model does take to the air, the club members tend to collectively let the member in question know that they need to do something about it.

The YAK seems to stop just short of ripping the prop. Whilst I’d like a bit more power, the advantage is that this make for a fairly quiet model, considering its size. You only become aware of it starting to just rip if you dive it at full power and leave it like that for several seconds to really pick you speed and the engine unload.

I’m starting to better understand how to use this camera and will try and get some better movies on the next outing. Main lessons learned are:

1) Don’t use autofocus or auto iris. It just gets in the way
2) Use a long lens, but stand back from the flight line
3) Of the movies I took today, actually the best (which I didn’t upload due to forgetting to turn on the mic!) was taken with the camera on a tripod with a fluid head. It gave the smoothest footage by far. So, this seems to be the way to go. Holding the camera makes it less smooth, even with the image stabilisation turned on.

B.
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Pete R on Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:36 pm

The model looks really impressive. Sounds awesome too.
Nice smooth aeros.
Pete R
Group Leader
Group Leader

Previous

Return to Aerobatic Airframes