What's your dream plane and why?

All types of aerobatic airframes, questions, builds or general info

What's your dream plane and why?

Postby Ally Young on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:16 pm

Hi,

Just thought I'd try to help breathe a bit of life into the forum by asking the question above to see what is on everyone's wish list at the moment. That might also help us see the direction that people on the forum are moving in.

I'll start, ......

For me, I am and always have been a big fan of large aeros. I still prefer them to jets etc. I suppose I get bored too easily, although I love the smell of burning kero in the summer.

I have two / three coveted models on my dream list....all surprisingly coming from the Krill stable. I like CARF but love the styling of the Krill stuff and I love 'pretty' design.

So Number one for me would be a Krill Laser Z 2300. Probably with a DA 150. It is a nice size at 2.8 m not too big and not too small. I would just enjoy flying that around and looking at it!

image.jpeg

Number 2 would be a Krill Ultimate with maybe a GP 123 or DA 120 ...again just because I love the design and would love to own and fly it.

image.jpeg

Number 3 would be the Krill Extra 330 LX with a 170 of some sort. I think it would be a good all round model and great for IMAC or precision aeros.

image.jpeg

As a 3D tool, I'd go for a AJ Laser 105" witha GP 123

image.jpeg

So, who' s next with their wish list? 8-)
Team HighAlpha ally@highalpha.org
Ally Young

Re: What's your dream plane and why?

Postby Billy Bunter on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:01 pm

Hello Ally,

A big problem with this hobby, is that as soon as you get that ‘dream plane’, there is always another that then immediately appears on the horizon.....

I’m incredibly lucky to have a ‘fleet’ of incredible aeroplanes: two Krill 41% Extra 330sc (both with quads under the bonnet!), two 37% Krill Sukhoi, the bIg CARF YAK55SP and CARF DG800 6m glider powered by a P100 turbine. Against this backdrop my (latest) dream model is needing to be something very different from these highly strung aerobatic monoplanes.

So, I recently ordered a CARF Pitts 12, which will be built with a Moki300 radial up front....! :D A biplane with a Moki under the hood definitely fits into the ‘different’ catagory that I am now looking for!

The airframe should arrive in April. And, noting the need to keep this forum alive, there will be a build thread put up for this on HA.

B
Attachments
Pitts Union Jack1.jpg
Last edited by Billy Bunter on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Big Si on Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:26 pm

Well a good one this
I do a bit of everything so can be a pain at times lol
as I have a dream one in each of them
always done gliding and like most have small stuff and hanker after something big and expensive
That I got a bit back a 5.2 m DG600 so covered there :dance:
I do Heli as I never really got my head round them way way back so having another go ,so
I have 2x concept 30,s 1 mint and more to look at as its got a nice body shell on it, the other as on the box
but then I have a Trex 470 / 600 pro and 2 x 700,s one with a speed body on the other not, so covered there as always wanted a 700
plane wise from a Wot4 upwards 2 X 50cc EF Edges one petrol the other Electric ,2x 100cc a Pilot Sbach 107 the other a Krill Sukhoi
but my dream Plane has always been the 3W Yak Air runner,loved that from the very first time I saw one at the German Supper Show. god way to long ago lol
I do have 1 glad to say but its not done as I don't get much time to build for my self anymore as always building for others
and I cant make up my mind whether to do it petrol or electric as I do have the electric set up already for it sat on a shelf
For me I just haven't seen anything in a long time that I have just got to have anymore
I never managed to ever leave Weston Park with out some dam plane I had seen on the show line that I had to have even if I could not afford it but not had that sad to say for a few years now
My one dream Model was a Glider a all moulded carbon Cobra
again I was lucky in the fact I had 1 but I was stupid and sold it and have so wished I had not for about 8 years now
But again lucky for me a Great Guy in France is making them again from the original moulds and it should be ready in the next couple of weeks :dance:
So that's my list of dream models
and I own them so no big spend for me for a while
Oh other than I have a big Tucano to build and I would Sooooooooooooooooooo love a Jetcat or a wren for the front
So I best get saving dam it :violin:
Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice
Big Si
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby Freestyle dude on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Naruke built Ascent bipe with YS 200. All Naruke bipes look sensational and the Ascent is the latest in a long line of great flying ultra sexy bipes. Would love to own one and it would have to be with a big YS.

CARF Extra 330, 3.1m. For IMAC this is, IMO, the ultimate of the composite airframes for IMAC. This one is kitted out with a DA200 L and Zimmerman exhaust. Very, very, very nicely assembled by Birdy it looks as good inside as it does on the outside. Very minimalist and light. I customised this one with a splash of red on the wings which really suits it.

I don't have many other aeroplanes that I would put in the "dream" category. Maybe a Tigercat with twin Moki radials or a big Mustang with a Kolm inline three cylinder fourstroke 8-)
Attachments
Screenshot_20180905-210808.jpg
IMG-20180830-WA0006.jpg
Screenshot_20170926-093040.png
Freestyle dude
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Freestyle dude on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Yak Air Runner. Yes, fabulous aeroplane.
Attachments
IMG-20180827-WA0000.jpg
Freestyle dude
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Ally Young on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:51 pm

You guys are pitching much higher than me with your dream models! :lol:

I was relatively modest in my aspirations! Angus, yes, lovely F3A bipe. I also like the look of the Prometheus...even the wee one would be a bit of fun.

Stuart, you don't need a dream model, you've got them all already! :shock:

Big moulded glider...what's not to like.

All good stuff.......oh and while we are in dream land, I forgot about a massive Seafury witha big Moki radial......that would be my heavy metal dream model.

Who's next?
Team HighAlpha ally@highalpha.org
Ally Young

Postby French Connection on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:46 am

I would like a CARF EXTRA HYBRID 2.3 with electric power, and a CARF MEPHISTO jet.
Back in the day I had a PILOT all built up construction Bucker Jungman 1/3 rd scale biplane.
Sure wish I had one now fitted with a modern engine and radio.

Reading Billy B's collection of big planes how do the 4 pot motors handle 3d flying with sometimes minimal cooling .
French Connection
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Billy Bunter on Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:16 pm

French Connection!

I’ve got the following planes with quads:

37% Krill SU29 with Mintor 220
41% Krill Extra 330sc with Mintor 220
41% Krill Extra 330sc with a DA200LM
The CArF YAK55SP with the MVVS190

I had some overheating issues with the MVVS190 in the YAK55SP last year, but that was when the exhaust system was strangling the engine and causing a massive loss of power and poor airflow over the cowl and cooling ducts. It seems to be sorted now.

On all my quads I’ve taken the time to baffle the engines heavily and use well positioned exits with lips to cause a low pressure zone that will suck air through and from the cowl & fuselage.

I remember doing one session at Damyns Hall when Craig was still I the Uk on one of the hottest days I remember. He did a 12minutes ‘full on’ flight with the Extra that has the M220 in it. Included about 5 minutes of hovering and torque rolling. The engine just took the abuse and didn’t overhead.

So, it’s all good, as long as you get the baffling etc. right.

B.
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby French Connection on Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:15 am

What a collection :mrgreen:
French Connection
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Billy Bunter on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:40 pm

French Connection wrote:What a collection :mrgreen:

Yes, I’m very, very lucky....

That said, things have somewhat run away with themselves. Add to the above a second Krill 37% Sukhoi with a ZDZ180, a 2.5m Futura and. A bunch of smaller stuff, and I’m now struggling to move for lack of space!

So, if anyone out there is intereted in a well built and cared for 40%er, please,drop me a line. I’m interested to move a couple of them on.

B
Billy Bunter
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Return to Aerobatic Airframes