Important. Read this release from the LMA

Come talk about anything RC

Important. Read this release from the LMA

Postby Dave Wilshere on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Afternoon,

As you may have already seen, earlier today the CAA released their consultation on the charges for their upcoming drone registration scheme.

https://consultations.caa.co.uk/finance ... istration/

This registration scheme is currently proposed to apply to all of us who fly model aircraft, as well as recreational and commercial drone operators.

That means every single person who wants to fly a model aircraft in the UK (including every LMA, BMFA, SAA, FPVUK member) will, before the end of November 2019, have to-
Register themselves on the government website
Pay £16.50 for the privilege of registering
Renew registration and pay £16.50 every year
Pass an online test of theoretical competence on the government website (for free)
Please read the consultation in the above link, and please respond to the consultation. Again, to be clear, we need your help to communicate how popular this will be with the UK’s modellers, so PLEASE RESPOND TO THE CONSULTATION. I will be responding formally on behalf of the LMA as well as working with the BMFA, SAA & FPV UK to meet with the DfT and the CAA and apply political pressure via the APPG for GA and other routes to get the best possible result for modellers. We need your support though in the form of weight of numbers responding to the consultation.

I met yesterday with the developers of the system in Gatwick, and the proposed system is quite straightforward to use, if a bit expensive to use! They are however only providing what the CAA & DfT have asked for.

If you have any questions, please ask. I do however know it is overkill, the charge is completely excessive, only the law abiding will comply with it, it will be widely ignored, especially by anyone upto no good and it is a ‘seen to be doing something’ knee jerk reaction to the perceived ‘drone menace’ that lives in some influential people’s heads.

Based on the predicted numbers or registrants, modellers will be approximately 25% of the numbers, so PLEASE RESPOND TO THE CONSULTATION to make modellers the largest group making their views known on the questions in the consultation-

a) What is your view on the CAA’s proposed charge, in terms of the level and structure of the charge?
b) Do you have alternative ideas about how the CAA could cover the costs of running the registration scheme?
c) Are the CAA’s estimated volumes appropriate for the make-up of drone operators in the UK, based on existing sources of data and your own observations?

Best Regards

Rob Buckley Secretary - Large Model Association
secretary@largemodelassociation.com
"Do or Do not. There is no try" -Yoda
Dave Wilshere
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Re: Important. Read this release from the LMA

Postby oliver on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:30 pm

Dave Wilshere wrote:Again, to be clear, we need your help to communicate how popular this will be with the UK’s modellers

Don’t know if this is a typo but I can’t see this being popular at all

Edit maybe this sarcasm was lost on me :lol:
Rejected by McDonalds
oliver
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby bertybear on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:42 pm

Seems the same as the new registration system in France were we do an online test with the ffam wich now in use where each of our aircraft have unique individual serial number. Just going to have to do it here now
As well I suppose, cheers for the heads up Dave.
bertybear
Rookie
Rookie

Postby French Connection on Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:48 am

As bertybear has said here in France we have this system.
Models over 800 grams have to be registered and the reg no displayed on the model plus the reg certificate kept in the car.

I have no problem with that as easy to do online and also free, no charge. The online registration test was easy too.

Berty where abouts are you in France and what club you in.
French Connection
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Dickw on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:51 am

Slightly different to the French version then.
Here it is the operator/pilot of any model over 250gm that has to be registered, not the individual models.
The number on the model will be the operator’s, and therefore will be the same on all your models – a bit like the BMFA or the FAI only a lot more expensive!

Dick-W
Grow old disgracefully.
Dickw
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby Craig on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:06 am

Same thing happend here in Australia, after consultations with CASA(CAA) model aircraft were excluded and were covered by the the MAAA.(BMFA) its compulsory in Australia to join a club in order to get MAAA (BMFA) insurance.
Livin the dream!

sponsored by the Wifey's Credit card
Craig
Commander
Commander

Return to General RC Chitchat