What paint?

Come talk about anything RC

What paint?

Postby ChrisJD on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:12 am

I am currently building an F3A design from the late 80's early 90's; currently at the stage of finishing the model, wings with film and fuselage paint. I decided to try the RC Colours paint, and have had such trouble. Luckily I have only been painting the wing centre section, but the bright Red is flat! Not too worried about this as I planned to add a coat of the Clear Gloss, which would bring some gloss back. However, the coveage of this Gloss is awful, trying to get an even coat has proved to be very problematic and painting over white has resulted in a dull yellow finish! Luckily this is just in the wheel wells at the moment, but is a worry when the time comes to paint the fuselage. I am now at the stage where I am looking for an alternative clear coat to use, but struggling to find what product can be safely used over the RC Colours paint. Even a conversation with JPerkins the distributor resulted in no help.
So, does anyone here know which products would work with the RC Colours paint?

Alternatively I will have to take the paint on the wing centre section right back and start again, not something I really want to do, but it's getting to that point.
Then to decide what paint to use instead? I would simply pop into my local Halfords and use the car paint, but unsure how fuel proof the clear lacquer would be. Anyone with experience?

It has been over 20 years since I built such a model and this frustration is waining my ethusiasm to continue building. So any help would much appreciated.

Chris.
ChrisJD
Junior Pilot
Junior Pilot

Re: What paint?

Postby Big Si on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:14 am

If it were Me
I would use a Halfords can and then go to a car paint finishers and get a can of single pack lacquer made up and use that
or if you know anyone that paints cars drop it off with them and get them to stick a coat of 2 pack on it and be done with
that I have found over the years is far more fuel proof than anything the model trade has to offer
most car finishers spray clear coat most days so to most some extra in the guy is no issue and they don't usually charge much for doing it
least round Shrewsbury where I live at least :D
Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice
Big Si
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby ChrisJD on Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:14 pm

I had thought that automotive lacquer should be pretty tough and cope with most issues, but want to be sure. I would imagine 2-pack would be tougher still, but had wondered about standard lacquer too. Weigh up the options...

Thanks.
ChrisJD
Junior Pilot
Junior Pilot

Postby Big Si on Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:22 pm

single pack out off a rattle can works fine and you can get a good finish with it
2 pack will always be better
just have to make sure you don't whack loads on it as its heavy so a nice light coat if you can
I always pop mine round to a car guy as he's got lacquer in his gun most days
always worth asking if you have any garages close bye that do body work ;)
Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice
Big Si
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby ChrisJD on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:50 pm

Might be the way to go then.

Just a pain to have to rub the paint back to start again!

I can put it down to experience!
ChrisJD
Junior Pilot
Junior Pilot

Postby Big Si on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:23 pm

ChrisJD wrote:Might be the way to go then.

Just a pain to have to rub the paint back to start again!

I can put it down to experience!

God been there done that and then some
yes don't matter how old we get always learning in this game that's for sure :roll:
Big Si
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Return to General RC Chitchat