Securing a large electric canopy hatch - opinions please

Come talk about anything RC

Securing a large electric canopy hatch - opinions please

Postby Toucan on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:51 am

Hi all,

I have a Hyperion Yak 54 120e (same model as the old Extreme Flight 74")

The canopy hatch uses a single spring loaded hatch 'pin' as found on many electric aircraft.

Is the spring loaded hatch pin enough on its own? Or do I need to add additional canopy screws? (hopefully not as I don't want to have to chop the airframe about!)

I've tried looking at what other manufacturers have done (Extreme Flight, SebArt, AJ aircraft) and it looks like some do have the spring loaded hatch pin AND canopy screws and others just use the pin.

So opinions very much welcome! :D
Toucan
Wing Man
Wing Man

Re: Securing a large electric canopy hatch - opinions please

Postby Si_B on Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:33 pm

Pretty sure its just a spring loaded hatch pin on my EF Yak. With the DLE 30 up front it vibrates a fair bit, but not had any problems with the canopy detaching.

I'd just check the pin makes good contact and that the pin can't slip. On some of the plastic housing, the pin can slowly work its way back. This has been the main cause of any canopies I've seen floating down.

Simon

Ps. What set up are you running. I've tried to sell one of those kits for months and still have it, so will be looking to gear it up at some point (might as well keep it than give it away!!)
Si_B
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Toucan on Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Thanks foe reply Si_B,

I'll stick with just the spring loaded hatch pin.

I havent flown mine yet but the setup is:

Eflite power 160

OS Oca-1100HV 100A

10s 4500mah 45c Zippys.

Draws about 75amp full chat on a APC-E 20x10, loads of grunt!
Toucan
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby Big Si on Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:28 am

Eflite power 160

There not a bad motor to be fair and way better than most give them credit for
had one in a 50cc Yak 55M and it pulled it round half decent considering its really only a 30cc motor
its now sat in an old F3A Topstar 777 with a 18x15 Apc stuck on it as lack of ground clearance wont let it go bigger and it really could do with more pitch but not much bigger with out going silly money really
but dose yank it around very well and dose not get warm at all :D
Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice
Big Si
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby Toucan on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:06 am

I finally flew the yak last night Big Si.

Went extremely well. Immense amount of power with the 4500mah 45C Zippys (10s, 2 X 5s) and the E-Flite 160 with a APC 20x10.

This setup pulls just under 80amps on the wattmeter at full power. I was flying around at 1/3rd power for alot of the flight. The packs were luke warm when I landed.

I would honestly not sell yours, just set it up and fly!

Just add my c of g was a bit nose heavy with the recommended point, nothing to worry about though.
Toucan
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby Big Si on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:28 am

Toucan wrote:I finally flew the yak last night Big Si.

Went extremely well. Immense amount of power with the 4500mah 45C Zippys (10s, 2 X 5s) and the E-Flite 160 with a APC 20x10.

This setup pulls just under 80amps on the wattmeter at full power. I was flying around at 1/3rd power for alot of the flight. The packs were luke warm when I landed.
Just add my c of g was a bit nose heavy with the recommended point, nothing to worry about though.

Hay glad it went well
and the power was good
not a lot 80amps so should get good flight times as well
Happy flying :D
Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice
Big Si
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Return to General RC Chitchat