Canister talk... AGAIN!

Come talk about anything RC

Re: Canister talk... AGAIN!

Postby Pete R on Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:36 pm

I have jmb 4 chamber in both my dle55/61 and others in the club have said how quiet my models are. :D
Pete R
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Will Waring on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:07 pm

Thanks for all the responses. Nothing for Zimms or MTW then? :shifty:
Will Waring
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby uhf on Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:52 pm

Ive used zimms in the past, they are much tougher than jmb but also a lot more money and imho dont sound as nice. The newer rear exit ones might be worth a try. Ive also got an mtw 55mm can on a dle61 and that goes well, but again, more money. Jmb are cheap and work well, they are just very soft.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
uhf
Commander
Commander

Postby Andrew Bird on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:32 am

There's an awful lot of good stuff out there nowadays.

Over the last few years I've run MTW TD110K's, KS 1060 pipes and Zimmerman cans on that size engine (DA120 / 3W110 CS). Personally I really like the set up with the pipes because it is returning a significant power increase (and torque increase) compared to the cans I'd run the motor on. The MTW cans worked really well on my DA120 - power was very similar to Zimmermans but the noise was lower on the MTW's. They were pretty soft compared to the Zimms. One of the pipe outlets started to crack at the joint and required re welding after about 120 flights on them but this could have just been bad luck.
Flown some friends JMB's and they felt good and a chap at my field was running AS power cans on his DLE 120 the other day and they sounded great and looked to throttle nicely. There really don't seem to be that many bad options out there.
Andrew Bird
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby Will Waring on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:27 am

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm still deciding but have something in mind, I'll let you know what I go with :D
Will Waring
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Will Waring on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:35 am

Update - I decided to go for some Zimmerman rear exit cans and headers. Having been impressed with the front exit versions I thought why not and I am very happy I did. These rear exit cans are absolute beasts :shock: I was very surprised by the power output when fitted to my dle 111 over the MTW I had. My Extra 260 which weighted in at 14.2kg (yeah that heavy) goes like a bloody missile out the prop hang! I'm swinging a xoar 27x10 wood and am yet to try the carbon 27x10 version which I'm sure will.be even better. The cans aren't the quietest when you open um up but I like the roar of them :twisted: anything below 3/4 is really quiet. I'm currently fitting this engine and the cans in a new PRC 330sc which is a much lighter kit so it's gonna be great.
Overall best all round cans I've used and seen on a dle 111 8-)
Will Waring
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Simon W on Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Same decision to make, DLE120 this time. I have JMB on other planes and have been impressed by how quiet they are.

Considering pipes too, RE2, 1060 or two types from AS power. I have been told that the 1060 is softer than the RE2 but know nothing about the AS power pipes.
Carden Yak
Global Su 29
Pilot 35% Extra
EG Raven
Simon W
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Ally Young on Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:57 pm

I'd go with the long cans from AS Power. They are well made, very quiet, smooth power delivery and have a smoke nipple hole fitted. This pic is from in Beast but now in my Edge.

image.jpg
Team HighAlpha ally@highalpha.org
Ally Young

Postby ChrisC on Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:31 pm

I've just swapped from RE2's to 4 chamber JMB's on my DLE120 and I'm impressed so far. Hard to tell if they are much quieter as I changed props too. Certainly good power from the cans though, more than enough for what I want.
ChrisC
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby Simon W on Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:38 pm

Probably going for the JMB - a pair of M60L with JMB DLE120 headers.

Anyone have any experience with the can/header combo?

Got almost everything then for my PRC Edge build :D :D :D
Carden Yak
Global Su 29
Pilot 35% Extra
EG Raven
Simon W
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Previous

Return to General RC Chitchat