LADO RETRACTS

Want to talk about your Hellcat or Sopwith Camel? Heres the place

LADO RETRACTS

Postby paul230v on Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:43 am

Hi

As anyone had any experience with the 1/4 scale Lado Electric retracts, I am having a few problems.

Cheers
L39 XXXL
Futura 2.5
Yak 130 1/4 scale
Composite P51 1/4 scale
H9 Sukhoi 26MM 3.1
YT Yak 54 50cc
paul230v
Group Leader
Group Leader

Re: LADO RETRACTS

Postby paul230v on Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi

Problem solved !

If anyone has any issues with these systems I may be of help as I have had to get over lots of issues with them.

Cheers

Paul
L39 XXXL
Futura 2.5
Yak 130 1/4 scale
Composite P51 1/4 scale
H9 Sukhoi 26MM 3.1
YT Yak 54 50cc
paul230v
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby dwazzer on Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi Paul,

I'd be interested to know what problems you had as I have a set I am fitting into an airframe at the mo'. Mine are the RS333 units (with Jet1a legs)

They seem pretty good quality to me! :?

Cheers, Dave.
Lots of planes......And a VERY tolerant Wife...!!!
dwazzer

Postby paul230v on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi Dave

The quality of the retracts are good no problem with any of the mechanical equipment the machining was good, the problems came with some of the electrical components.

I have attached here a copy that I posted on my local club site.

Yes they are Electric made by a company called Lado . Normally Lado's stuff is good quaulity, but this is one of the firsts in their large size retracts and this set has not been in production very long so there is not many people i can ask questions.

As I said once their set up and in sequence they work great, but when not use for a while the gear drive wont operate on the first signal , i have had a volt meter in the connections at the gear drive and when its due to operate the 7.7volts arrives spot on and the motor gives the tiniest hint that its going to move but dont. So to me the module is switching ok but not delivering enough current to start the motor.

I have had a similar problem with 3 out of the 4 door motors ( electric rams ), to give you an idea how it works the ram looks like any small air ram and works on the principle of the section of shaft within the ram is threaded and when operated the internal section of the operating motor spins, this spin will either pull in or push out the shaft until it hits its stops , the stop is an O ring in a recess . This process giving the ram a soft stop . What we have to bear in mind that it is the over current device built into the tiny pcb in the top of the head of the ram which allows it to stop.

The problem I had was similar to what is happening now with the larger motors , it would work several times and then for no reason just click when it received its operating signal. What this turned out to be was that after several operations and the motors and stops etc bedded in the shaft would touch the inside of the ram case before the O ring compressed enough to stop the motor , in effect causing a hard stop , when the motor was required to work it could not overcome the required start current for the motor and would just click. This was easily solved by removing the shaft and taking about 1mm off the end of it. They have worked faultless ever since.

However the larger gear motors do not work in this way , they have extended threaded shafts which spin, these shafts then pass through a threaded collet which then either pushes or pulls the gear when operated. The stopping mechanism for this unit is when the collet locates into the locking positon for the gear locking the gear up or down. This works exactly the same as most air systems. So there is no soft stop within the ram it relies on locking the gear up or down to stop it. Now it appears that the in line programmable module is the same size as the door motor modules and i think they are too small and cannot handle the inrush of current at first start. Or is there something in the drive motor I am missing ?

When this kit arrives you get 4 X Door Rams and 4 X door modules and 2 X Mains U/C units with 2 X control modules , with this you get an electronic programming board. The idea being that you can use the board to programme each of the modules to control each of the motors to any sequence you require , you can then plug them all into one channel on your receiver and off you go.

There is one very small problem with this and it is it comes with NO INSTRUCTIONS !!!!!!!.

Can you imagine the frustration of A, figuring out how to programm the system, B, Understanding parts actually failing and not being a programme error, C, having to remove all the wiring and equipment from the wings when it fails , even after several tests.

Its lucky this system didnt have its first flight through the workshop window .

So having wasted considerable time on just this bit I have ordered a Xcoy electronic sequencer.

After I posted this onto our local site I received some feed back from Christophe at Lado , and basically he has said that I was spot on with the problem and that he now runs his units through a Smartfly box.

This undercarriage is fitted to a 1/4 scale P51 Mustang, mine is the 3W composite , Christophe has the comparf version which is slightly smaller , but we are using the same gear. I will be running mine through the Xcoy.

So if you are not using the really large units and are not using the programmable modules you should be fine .

Hope this helps

Paul
L39 XXXL
Futura 2.5
Yak 130 1/4 scale
Composite P51 1/4 scale
H9 Sukhoi 26MM 3.1
YT Yak 54 50cc
paul230v
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby dwazzer on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:15 pm

Yes Paul, that helps!

I am only using a simple set in a model without doors etc. So I will be fine :dance:

I think the quality of the Lado retracts is excellent!

Cheers, Dave.
Lots of planes......And a VERY tolerant Wife...!!!
dwazzer

Postby paul230v on Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:28 pm

Yes the quality of the gear is really good and I would buy it again , its just that the larger units dont work well with the individual modules.
Christophe is using his with a Smartfly box and I am using Xcoy box, so thats the way to go if you go really large.

I am actually going to use their 40mm travel electric rams to operate the canopy slide.

Cheers

Paul
L39 XXXL
Futura 2.5
Yak 130 1/4 scale
Composite P51 1/4 scale
H9 Sukhoi 26MM 3.1
YT Yak 54 50cc
paul230v
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby cary on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:40 am

Paul, I'm looking forward to seeing this set up in your P51. Mine has taken a back seat recently due to the 1/5 scale P51 needing work plus my 1/3 scale Fokker DVII is now needing flight testing ready for the shows!
Cary
cary
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby paul230v on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi Cary

Yeah its getting there but its slow, its small things like the guy who started it didnt cut the doors out correctly for the tail wheel and the material he has used for the doors is obviously not what he cut out as there is no shape to it. So now i have to find some material to make the doors out of and get a bit of shape in them.
The undercarriage has wasted so much time as thought failures were my fault and just couldnt get my head around it, anyway that bit sorted now. Everything is connected and set up and will be running the motor this week.I have the weekend off hopefully so hope to get loads done on it.
Have you any idea where I may get some lights for it, I see that Little Horse has full nav lights and original landing light under the wing.
Once I am happy with it and all seems ok it will going back to UK for some test flights and LMA cert, if all goes well it will then go to my mate who will do the paint job and Fuz alterations ( Little Horse has a cooling vent under Fuz near wing trailing edge, this Fuz dosent have that at the moment.
Will post some pics soon.
L39 XXXL
Futura 2.5
Yak 130 1/4 scale
Composite P51 1/4 scale
H9 Sukhoi 26MM 3.1
YT Yak 54 50cc
paul230v
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby weeksy on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:43 pm

who,s your mate thats doing the paint job as i could do with having something painted :D
i bet thats going to cost ya :D
maybe you could bribe him with a free tomahawk xxl viper jet ,i,ve heard he,s a great painter
ef 170cc
ef 50cc
skygate hawk p200
futura p200
xxl viper jet arriving
weeksy
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby paul230v on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:52 pm

Ha ha

He is not my mate really , he is just a ginger twot that lives across town who aint too bad with paint brush , God forbid I would never trust him with anything large or expensive.
Bribery may have to be used :lol:

I knew i could rely on you mate :D
L39 XXXL
Futura 2.5
Yak 130 1/4 scale
Composite P51 1/4 scale
H9 Sukhoi 26MM 3.1
YT Yak 54 50cc
paul230v
Group Leader
Group Leader

Next