Butcher Bird Scale Project

Want to talk about your Hellcat or Sopwith Camel? Heres the place

Re: Butcher Bird Scale Project

Postby sanputas on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Finally the spinner!

After almost 2 months waiting for the 3 blade spinner to arrive from US, it was time to finish off this project.

Spinner cut outs wouldn't fit the Biela 3 blade so I had to grind off the openings carefully with a dremel to allow enough clearance from the blades.

This particular plane existed in 2 variants, one in black and one with spiral yellow spinner. I decided to go with the spiral one as it looks cooler and matches the prop and wing tips. 8-)

Painting process was very straight forward

1.jpg
3M blue vinyl tape was used to create the spiral. I tried different tapes but none of them were flexible enough to contour around the spinner, so had to order this particular tape for its flex masking characteristics.
This was applied carefully eye balling the spiral effect.

2.jpg
Frog tape was used afterwards to mask the areas in black.

3.jpg
KlassKote yellow paint was used for this. Mixing as usual 1:1:1. Black colours should be applied over lighter ones but in this case as the spinner was already painted black, I had to do the opposite. This took some time and coats to cover the black.

4.jpg
Final result and with very good results.. What a shame it was going to be weathered...

5.jpg
From the front

6.jpg
Spinner chipped to show the aluminium underneath. This was done by scrapping the paint in random directions, emulating debris flying towards the plane when ground attacks.

7.jpg
Fine sanding paper was used to blend the yellow spiral and deteriorate the paint overall. Then black and dark grey washes were applied with Tamiya paints. Finally a coat of KlassKote clear Matt was used to seal the surface.

8.jpg
Final result, looking deadly.

So I am wrapping up this project now...

It has been 3 years since I started and although my first scale project, I know there are things I could have done better but I think it will look great in the air anyway. Most important I have learned and enjoyed a lot and cannot wait to get this bird in the air and enjoy that radial sound!

I will be going to Phoenix MFC hopefully this week to do some taxi and engine tests and get some pictures.
Then maiden day... :? :violin: :D
Damyns MFC - Phoenix MFC
sanputas
Commander
Commander

Postby Big Si on Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:17 am

This has been so cool to follow and watch it grow into an amazing detailed plane that most of jus could only dream of doing
even if we could most of us would not have a clue or be bothered to go to that detail
hope its at Weston Park next year so can have a close up look or somewhere I go to
its been fab getting to see how things are done
thanks for taking the time to show and tell
happy flying
Si
Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice
Big Si
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby sanputas on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:55 am

Big Si wrote:This has been so cool to follow and watch it grow into an amazing detailed plane that most of jus could only dream of doing
even if we could most of us would not have a clue or be bothered to go to that detail
hope its at Weston Park next year so can have a close up look or somewhere I go to
its been fab getting to see how things are done
thanks for taking the time to show and tell
happy flying
Si

Thanks man

Pictures of maiden day coming soon...
Damyns MFC - Phoenix MFC
sanputas
Commander
Commander

Previous

Return to Scale Flight