Butcher Bird Scale Project

Want to talk about your Hellcat or Sopwith Camel? Heres the place

Re: Butcher Bird Scale Project

Postby Ally Young on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:00 am

You have done some amazing work on this project. Is it a Saito 84 radial? I think I would be going with higher capacity rx batteries for two reasons. 1 ....you need the weight and 2 ..... If you are flying her at a show etc over a weekend, you won't (safely) get two days flying out of two 2200 lipos without charging. ...well I wouldn't risk it!
I use 2x4500 or 2x 5000 mah lipos in my 100 and 170 size aerobatic models. They are working more than a warbird, but all the same, I would rather have too much than not enough.
I wouldn't go nose heavy either...why would you want that? Go for the right cg.......it would worry me that you are speaking about a 'suggested' cg rather than a tried and tested known cg.
Here is a lesson on what happens if the CG is wrong on an fw 190! ...admittedly this is a smaller model but you can see the result!

https://youtu.be/zUaMKJVKGOI

Looking brilliant by the way! :D
Team HighAlpha ally@highalpha.org
Ally Young

Postby Dave Wilshere on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:02 am

On two 2200 Rx packs on a Powerbox will easily do a weekend. Scale models with small movements and low vibration from a radial will use 150mAh per pack per flight. No show flying allows that much flying and at PMFC we have 12v to our outside tables, so if J was having a fly fest he can charge.

My Mini Xcalibur with 7 digital servos, an IGyro 3e and electric retracts has a 1600Rx Li-Po through a PB switch and that uses 75-80mAh per flight...18 flights on a charge!
"Do or Do not. There is no try" -Yoda
Dave Wilshere
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby sanputas on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:15 am

Ally Young wrote:You have done some amazing work on this project. Is it a Saito 84 radial? I think I would be going with higher capacity rx batteries for two reasons. 1 ....you need the weight and 2 ..... If you are flying her at a show etc over a weekend, you won't (safely) get two days flying out of two 2200 lipos without charging. ...well I wouldn't risk it!
I use 2x4500 or 2x 5000 mah lipos in my 100 and 170 size aerobatic models. They are working more than a warbird, but all the same, I would rather have too much than not enough.
I wouldn't go nose heavy either...why would you want that? Go for the right cg.......it would worry me that you are speaking about a 'suggested' cg rather than a tried and tested known cg.
Here is a lesson on what happens if the CG is wrong on an fw 190! ...admittedly this is a smaller model but you can see the result!

https://youtu.be/zUaMKJVKGOI

Looking brilliant by the way! :D

Hi Ally,

That's right, it's a Saito FG84 4-stroke petrol.

Regarding the Rx batteries I have no need to go for higher capacity, I use this on my H9 Carden Extra and I can do easily 5 flights without charging. In fact I don't mind charing packs while at the field as I am used to it and quite like topping up these for safety anyway.

For CG when I say suggested, I meant as per the manual which as I have read on other forums, it has been trial and tested as a good starting point. At the moment with this configuration I am 4-5mm ahead of this point which is ok being in the safe side of things.

My main worry is whether or not I can get away with having these 2 Rx packs next to the Saito ignition regarding radio interference, etc.. The actual Rx is inside the fuse (more than 12 inches) away from both ignition and packs.
Damyns MFC - Phoenix MFC
sanputas
Commander
Commander

Postby Ally Young on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:35 am

That sounds ok then re CG. ...same with lipos given what you and Dave said. I take up to about about 800 mah out of each of my two batts over three flights of around 10-12 mins, but that is big surfaces waving about a lot.

Sounds as though you are ready to fly her soon. All the best when the time comes. ( think I'd have flown it first before adding all the scale detail!) :D
Team HighAlpha ally@highalpha.org
Ally Young

Postby sanputas on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:40 am

Ally Young wrote:That sounds ok then re CG. ...same with lipos given what you and Dave said. I take up to about about 800 mah out of each of my two batts over three flights of around 10-12 mins, but that is big surfaces waving about a lot.

Sounds as though you are ready to fly her soon. All the best when the time comes. ( think I'd have flown it first before adding all the scale detail!) :D

I know, thing is once you start working on it, I was finding very difficult to stop! - Also I'd rather have the model completely finish before maiden day ( more exciting ) - cockpit excluded of course.
Damyns MFC - Phoenix MFC
sanputas
Commander
Commander

Postby Dave Wilshere on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:12 pm

No issues with batteries next to ignition

Dave
"Do or Do not. There is no try" -Yoda
Dave Wilshere
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby sanputas on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Dave Wilshere wrote:No issues with batteries next to ignition

Dave

Cheers Dave ;)
Will go ahead this weekend and finish off all electronics, batt placement, etc.. and measure CG again.
Getting close now :clap: (just need to wait for the bloody 3 blade spinner from USA now..)
Damyns MFC - Phoenix MFC
sanputas
Commander
Commander

Postby sanputas on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:56 am

Finally all electronics in place.

After checking again weight and balance based on the new location for the batteries up front, the CG was bang on. Before maiden day I will double check CG using the 'two finger method' as well just in case ;-)

Lots of things needed to be installed inside the fuse but having SBUS system on this one makes things so easy to assemble.

3.jpg
Top hatch where the 2 RX batteries will be installed, one on each side of the Saito ignition secured with cable ties and Velcro tape. Powerbox cables were installed going to both Gemini II inputs.

Ignition and retract batteries are placed in the middle on top of a ply removable base in case I need access in the future from the top.

The ignition comes with a taco output which I thought about installing as it is always good to monitor those rpm's. This was placed on a small piece of ply that I glued in.

4.jpg
side view. Ignition LED was installed here as well.

5.jpg
Inside the fuse. Tank was held using 2 think rubber bands which are secured from the top. I made some beams on each side / top to keep it tight. Vent line runs above the tank and exits at the front.

6.jpg
Throttle servo secured and Gemini II at the top. Down & Locked retract controller on the side for easy plug in retract cables

7.jpg
Rx secured in place and SBUS 6way. Rx antennas were secured using some plastic tubes conforming as much as possible a 90 degree angle

9.jpg
Spark switch in place 7.4v

10.jpg

I did some initial tests and everything worked just fine. Next programming rates / throws / Tx.

Thanks to Dave from Motors&Rotors for providing me the electronics. Great service!
Damyns MFC - Phoenix MFC
sanputas
Commander
Commander

Postby sanputas on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:56 pm

While waiting for the bloody spinner to arrive, which I will then have to paint, etc.. being the last thing to do before maiden day, I decided to design some wing covers and means of transportation for the model.

1.JPG
Stabs and rudder panels cut to size

2.jpg
Wing laid onto the bottom covers. I used pipe insulation around the edges to protect the wing during transport, all hooked up with rubber bands and cord. Wing cases will have enough room to allow these to fit.

2b.jpg
Close up

3.jpg
Wing, rudder and stabs cases done. Velcro was used sewed around the edges by my in law ;-) always good for this things.

4.jpg
Wing fully protected

5.jpg

6.jpg
Transportation for the fuse: I used a spare undercarriage I had from an old model and worked out his system with a piece of wood to allow the fuse to stand on the ground! - no rig needed in the car, flying field.

7.jpg
It sits and slots in where the wings are using some wood dowels and same nylon bolts for the wings.

8.jpg
I know, it looks WRONG but it does the job!
Damyns MFC - Phoenix MFC
sanputas
Commander
Commander

Postby Simon McN on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:28 am

Looks great, can't wait to hear how she goes 8-)
Simon McN
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Scale Flight