Engine cutting when inverted

A place to talk about smelly, noisy propulsion systems, both Gas and Glow

Postby woodieo on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with my DLE 35RA Its in a 72" Slick 540 it runs perfectly and flies well with plenty of power and pulls out of the hover ect.. the issue is when it is inverted at low throttle it starts to struggle and if i leave it inverted it will cut out, i have had various other 30 and 50cc petrols and never had this problem does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be?

Cheers
Woody.
woodieo
Junior Pilot
Junior Pilot

Re: Engine cutting when inverted

Postby Ian Dovey on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:06 am

Sounds a bit like the cowl pressure is stalling the carb diaphragm. Try silver soldering a small brass tube to the cover plate and routing a piece of tygon into the fuselage. Or it could simply be your clunk line is stuck in the tank, but I guess you've already checked that. Try a flight without the cowl on, if C of G is ok.
Pilot RC Extra 300 DA50, Pilot Yak 54 DA50
Ian Dovey
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby woodieo on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi Ian,

I have soldiered a brass tube on and run tygon into the fuselage I always do this when installing an engine, and yes I have checked the clunk, I’m reluctant to play with the mixture a it’s spot on in normal flight but I can’t think of anything else to try.
woodieo
Junior Pilot
Junior Pilot

Postby uhf on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Try without cowl on as said. It may be the airflow inverted is disturbing the feed of air to the carb inlet and starving it. Also you could try a venturi.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
uhf
Commander
Commander

Postby woodieo on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Ok thanks for the reply’s guys I will fly it with the cowling off first, if that doesn’t change it then I will fit a Venturi hopefully one of these suggestions works.
woodieo
Junior Pilot
Junior Pilot

Return to Engines