F3A

All types of precision flying including F3A and IMAC

F3A

Postby Ally Young on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:21 pm

Hi guys,

I have a Miss Wind that I have been flying for a few years now and want to try something different with maybe an odd comp or two so airframe has been sold. I am keeping the Hacker motor A50 16S Mk3 and Hacker ESC. I am looking closely at the CPLR Galactik 90 from Bond Aero for P17. Anybody flown one?
image.jpg

I fancy a change from Sebart. This machine is the same size as a Mythos or Wind 50. It is a good bit more expensive at £399, but looks high quality and comes with wing and fuz protective bags, carbon uc etc. All my 6 S lipos would fit. I would like a 2 M machine, but the costs are pretty prohibitive and hard to justify for a wee bit of F3A dabbling. There is the Caelus 2M at an F3A comparatively reasonable £650. It is composite fuz, with wing incidence adjustment etc , etc. anybody know what it is like?
image.jpg
Team HighAlpha ally@highalpha.org
Ally Young

Re: F3A

Postby Allan on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:07 pm

I had a good look at the caelus at the NATS. it was not great,,, twisted formers etc. I know Chris bond of bond aero has a little used wind s for sale at good money. I to am looking at an F3a ship to have a dabble next year and to get a decent 2m ship of good quality you need to slash out some cash, for the money I don't think you can go wrong with the EF 2M vanquish, a guy in my club is an ex FAi pilot and he says it is brilliant!!
www.cestrianrc.com
Retracts, fueldots, stand offs
Allan
Commander
Commander

Postby Goreyflyer on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:51 pm

The report on RCuniverse sounds good. Haven't seen one personally though!
But I do know that some of the big brands are no where near perfect for the $$$$
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electri ... del-7.html
Goreyflyer
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby JonT on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:40 pm

Second the EF Vanquish Alan, I've got one, it flies great and compared to other options is a bargain. It would be competitive at any level.

It comes with wing and tail incidence adjustment, construction is top notch and is easy to get under 5kg.
JR MacGregor
West London Models
Deluxe Materials
Permagrit Tools
JonT
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby Maxpower on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:10 am

Jon,

What power set up did you use in the Vanquish ??

Cheers,

Max
SM F18, CARF Ultra Flash, JL Phanton, JL L-39, Tomahawk Furura 1.9, TW Loaded Dice, AN Illusion, HP Curare, WM Atlas
Maxpower
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby JonT on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:30 am

Hi Andy, how's it going?

Mine has a Hacker Q60 and Masterspin 125, but there are cheaper options. A clubmate had one with the EF recommended Torque set up and it seemed to work well.

Jon
JR MacGregor
West London Models
Deluxe Materials
Permagrit Tools
JonT
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby thomasdavid on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:26 am

My feeling is you don't need a very modern design unless you plan on flying the F sequence, which doesn't really happen to normal people. Otherwise go for whatever you can get your hands on cheap and they are all as good as each other. This is based on my huge F3A experience, of one comp.
thomasdavid
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Ally Young on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:17 am

I have heard very mixed reports on the Vanquish, from very good to very not so good! I would tend to go with direct experience as offered here. Aerobertics are quoting 899 euros with motor. Pretty decent for a 2 M design if the build quality is up to the mark.
It is hard for me to justify though at this point with so many other modelling interests and commitments. I liked the Galactik 90 as I could use all the stuff I have already. £400 for airframe and then a few servos is a lot more doable than the grand plus for a Vanquish or Mythos 125 etc. however, in the long run might that be a better option...... :?
Ally Young

Postby ChrisC on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Not sure if you've considered 2nd hand at all, some great 2m models around for little money, I sold my impact with hacker I runner and all good JR servos for around £500. Think there's possibly still the oxai Aries of Malcolm H, plettenberg, schulze ESC and jr servos for under a grand. Considering the bare airframe would be around 3K delivered, it's quite a saving.

A good option if you're looking for a wee taster without spending a fortune.
ChrisC
HA Sponsor
HA Sponsor

Postby Ally Young on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:25 pm

I think somebody bought that Chris, I'm sure Bill or Tom told me that.
Ally Young

Next

Return to Precision Flying