IMAC rules

All types of precision flying including F3A and IMAC

IMAC rules

Postby Languid Virago on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:44 am

OK, perhaps a silly question, but for the life of me I can't find a list of official rules for airframe eligibility for IMAC.

I read it was 215 cc 20 kg max and a 10% dimension change? but I would like to see the official rules on this. Especially about how the 10% rule is actually measured from the wing span. For example does fuse width, shape and depth count within that 10% rule, or does the fuse just have to more or less look like the full size to be recognizable? If the full size has SFGs, can these be made 10% bigger or moved forward or backward from the original position? If the full size doesn't have counter balances, can I use them, or vise versa.

I know the F3M rules are similar ( and easier to find online) , but want to assume nothing.

Cheers.
Languid Virago
Group Leader
Group Leader

Re: IMAC rules

Postby thomasdavid on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:54 am

A few links:
http://www.imacuk.org
http://www.mini-iac.com
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2013-2014RCScaleAerobatics1-1.pdf

6. Proof of Scale:
6.1: To prove that the model resembles a particular aircraft some proof of scale is required.
6.2: Proof of scale is the responsibility of the contestant.
6.3: The general outlines of the model shall approximate the full size outlines of the subject
aircraft. Exact scale is not required. The model shall be judged for likeness at a distance of approximately
10 feet.
6.4: If the contestant presents no proof of scale material with the model, and the CD can determine
that the aircraft is a replica of a full-size aircraft, then the contestant will be allowed to have his/her entry
considered.
6.5: Scale shall be determined by the wingspan. A change in wingspan will become a change in
overall Scale. Fuselage width, height and aircraft planform or any other variations shall not exceed 10% of
scale, with the exception of airfoils and size/shape of control surface within the scale outline rule.
6.6: A realistic three-dimensional human pilot and viewable instrument panel shall be
appropriately installed in all Scale Aerobatic aircraft. (A one [1] percent flight score penalty will be
assessed for noncompliance.)
thomasdavid
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby thomasdavid on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:55 am

I didn't know there was a full size aircraft with SFG's though.
thomasdavid
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Languid Virago on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:01 am

thomasdavid wrote:I didn't know there was a full size aircraft with SFG's though.

Ha, yeah, sort of. Maybe soon there will be a couple. One of the US airshow pilots is fitting them or trying to to his airframe and I would count the SAW Revolution as having SFGs too.

Prototypes also count for IMAC I think.

Thanks for the links BTW , I just couldn't find them.

Oh, missed the pilot and instrument penal thingy, we don't have that in VGM , I have a teddy bear in mine, would that count? :D

Edited to add: with regards to control surface shape, does that include adding or removing counter balances? I think in F3M you can't have them unless the full size does, but you can removed them if you wish, as you are not allowed aerodynamic features that the full size does not have. At least, I think that is the way it is interpreted.

Edited to add, part deux: it doesn't mention still max engine size and airframe weight? I assume it is 20kg, but we all know what the first 3 letters of that word means about anyone who assumes anything.
Languid Virago
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby thomasdavid on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:36 am

Not sure about the teddy bear. Is it a very realistic teddy bear? Actually no, sorry it says human. I agree the pilot and panel rule is stupid but that's what the Americans do and we are sheep.

I think you can change control surfaces as you like, plenty of extra 300's flying IMAC with counterbalanced elevators and extra 330's without.

Have you got a link to info on the SAW revolution? Also to the guy fitting SFG's to his airshow plane?
thomasdavid
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby thomasdavid on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:38 am

Max weight is 20kg in the UK, not sure about in the states. No engine size limit I think, not sure though. A few people using DLE 222's over here.
thomasdavid
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Postby Languid Virago on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:54 am

thomasdavid wrote:Have you got a link to info on the SAW revolution? Also to the guy fitting SFG's to his airshow plane?

SAW Revolution article and how it came about.
http://www.weimo.nl/uploads/article.pdf

And I think the other one was for Sean Tucker?? not 100% sure of the projects status. Last i heard He had a ( failed?) kick starter project for some new wings and was carrying on with the project regardless and doing testing on a 40% model.

Seems not Sean Tucker, he flies a Pitts. It was Matt Tanner, on his Laser 300. but as I said, he was looking for funds to get the job done. One off CF composite wings don't come cheap.
Languid Virago
Group Leader
Group Leader

Return to Precision Flying