new hear - looking to get into gas turbines

New to HA? Stop lurkin' and come and introduce yourself

new hear - looking to get into gas turbines

Postby paultzr on Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi all
just joined looking for info on getting started in gas turbines fixed wing I've been an RC flier for 40 yrs. Looking for a suitable flying site in West Sussex if there is one?
paultzr
Junior Pilot
Junior Pilot

Re: new hear - looking to get into gas turbines

Postby Si_B on Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:38 pm

Paul,

I'm in East Grinstead. Been into jets for about 3 years, so if I can help let me know.

There are not many places you can fly jets around here. A few clubs allow it, but you may not be able to join the club due to waiting lists etc.

I have drive for about an hour to get to my club. Also, you need to think about what jet you want as not all are suitable for scale or aircraft which need a long smooth runway.

Might be worth joining the Jet Modellers Association (JMA). Great bunch of like minded chaps and plenty of events to burn off as much jet fuel as you can (on tarmac as well !!).

Regards,
Simon
Si_B
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby paultzr on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks Simon
I will be joining the JMA at the start of their membership year which I believe is April.
Have been reading a lot about Ripmax Xcalibur as an ideal first jet and more recently I have been considering a Pilot Dolphin Jet which looks perfect so if you have any opinions on either I'd be glad to hear them.
regards
Paul
paultzr
Junior Pilot
Junior Pilot

Postby Si_B on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Paul,

I have an Xcalibur and its a great model for grass strips and just chucking about. There have been a couple of good looking ones on the BMFA recently (the one with the P70 looks well priced, but I don't know much about the P70, but jetcats are pretty rock solid).

If I had the money, I would have bought Steve's Dolphin (also on BMFA or JMA website) as I think its a bargain. Can't comment on what they fly like, but they look well made and the few I've seen fly went well. I don't think it would be as resilient to a rough landing compared to the Xcalibur though (maybe not the best first jet, but depends on your flying skills I guess).

I have other jets, but if its local flying day, the Xcalibur is the jet I take. I like to fly heli's and "paint stirrers", and it all needs to go in the car. As the Xcalibur sits on her wheels and breaks down really small, I can make a day of it and take lots of toys.

If you want to have a look at the Xcalibur close up, you could pop over for a coffee, or if you haven't got a jet, but have joined the JMA, I'm sure I could find a spare seat in the car if you want to come up to one of the meetings (I can only attend on a Sunday due to my job).

There are people on here with far more jet experience than me, but if I can help, let me know. The jet crowd are a great bunch.

Simon
Si_B
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby paultzr on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:00 pm

thank you Simon i guess you must also be located in the South East?
paultzr
Junior Pilot
Junior Pilot

Postby dwazzer on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:01 pm

paultzr wrote:thank you Simon i guess you must also be located in the South East?

Si is in East Grinstead ;)
Lots of planes......And a VERY tolerant Wife...!!!
dwazzer

Postby paultzr on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:22 pm

just seen my silly mistake thanks for putting me right.
paultzr
Junior Pilot
Junior Pilot

Postby Jason Parker on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:51 pm

Boomarangs are coming back on the market in a couple of months..........
Phoenix MFC
Jason Parker
Wing Man
Wing Man

Postby Lui on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:51 pm

Jason Parker wrote:Boomarangs are coming back on the market in a couple of months..........

Just wondered who's going to doing boomerang jets now when they are back on the scene ??)
Boomerang Elan with Jetcat 120 powerbox smoke system.
Krill Extra with DA 120r
Loads of Heli's
Loads of planes 180 MPH
Lui
Group Leader
Group Leader

Postby Jason Parker on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:35 pm

Its gone full circle.
Phoenix MFC
Jason Parker
Wing Man